Hey Pandas, What Are The Weirdest Rules You Had Growing Up?

What were the weirdest rules your parents made you follow growing up?

#1

No physical contact with anyone of the same sex. No hugs to my friends who were girls...wouldn't want me "catching the gay." Jokes on them I caught it anyways B)

#2

We had mandatory outside play time every day during the summer. Literally ushered out of the house and the door locked behind us - and don't come back for a few hours!. Now that I'm grown up I realized my mom just wanted some dang peace and quite for a while.

#3

I was left handed but I wasn't allowed to be left handed
So I had to learn to use my right hand instead
Like keep my left-dominant hand always closed in a bandage(often behind my back) so I would use my right hand always all the time and only

#4

Not allowed to wear shorts or jeans. No goddamn hippies in this house!

#5

This one to this day feels like fascism to me. If my mom had "guests" (they were just neighbors), at our house, I had to smile and say hi and engage with them socially, even at ten yes old, and even if they were people who my mom would tell me criticized my weight or attitude or whatever behind my back. In fact one time when we were visiting a family and I was around four years old, I happened to say that I didn't like the trend of shag haircuts (yes, it was the early 70s, and yes I was articulate for my age) because hair styles were the topic on tap. When we got into the car to leave, my mom started slapping my hands and totally losing it. Like not normal mom scolding. Like a person having a mental breakdown. I was four. I had no idea that the adult daughter happened to have her hair cut in the shag style. It was like that all the time. I seemingly said or did something my mom thought was wrong every time friends of hers were around. To this day, I hate having people over. I live alone, and still have anxiety if I'm forced to have people in. When I'm out, I'm totally fine socializing. It's just that feeling of dread that lingers from my childhood that I have to be perfect and say just the right things and act the right way, or else. If I was "out of order" she would, depending on her mood and how badly she perceived I had acted, tell me she was going to get into the car and leave, possibly for a long period of time if not for good. She was the only parent or family I had, and the thought of being left alone and abandoned terrified me. I still get upset, even all these years later, that she didn't have the sense or the empathy to see that this behavior wasn't ok and caused me great psychological trauma, and over the stupidest transgressions.

#6

I had to clean my house every day. No excuses. Why, mom?

#7

Why do I feel bad about having the best mom ever!

#8

It was so weird, I was totally responsible for an unstable parent's mood swings.

#9

My brother and I weren't allowed to be angry. We just weren't allowed to feel that emotion. While other kids were taught not to stamp their feet, throw their toys, or hit a sibling, we were taught not to feel angry or even to say that we felt angry.

Not surprisingly, this made me very angry.

#10

I wasn’t allowed to date until I turned 16, but when I was 14 I liked this guy (and he liked me back), so my parents set the strictest rules ever.
I wasn’t allowed to email him or have his number (but I could send him handwritten letters through the mail).
No physical contact unless it was a high five, or dancing at a church dance.
If I wanted to talk to him, 2 other people had to be with us, listening to the conversation.
And once I turned 15, I was allowed to talk to him. But it was email only, and it was 3 messages a day! And my parents went through it.
And they said once I turned 16, I could go on a date with him, but then I had to go on dates with 2 other guys before I went out with him again. But he moved away before that happened.

#11

Always tell the truth. Although this is not a weird or a funny one if my dad asked me if I did something and I didn't admit to it I would get beaten even worse. So to this day 40 years later I still have trouble telling a lie. Even if it's to save my skin.

#12

We had to do some pushups every day. An odd rule but my dad probably just wanted us to stay active

#13

For every hour I listened pop/rock music, I had to equally listen to an hour of classical music . It was the honor system and I did honor it, but it was very strange rule.

#14

Not me but...two girls I grew up with in the late 60s/70s they had to take baths in the afternoon, 3:00-4:00 and were not allowed to get dressed in regular clothes. The had to wear underwear, just panties, around the house and yard, nothing else, this was when they were in 3rd and 4th grade even. Dad didn't want them to get clothes dirty!! It was beyond creepy. They would totally freaked out if you sat on their beds. They had to get up and make their beds and couldn't sit on it or get in it until bedtime even though dad was at work all day and they could have remade or smoothed it back. There was something really creepy about him but I didn't get it until I was older. Neither one had children after they grew up.

#15

Not allowed to cut my hair. Had hair down to the back of my knees and I hated it!

#16

Never question where the money for private school was coming from. Btw, it was all legal, we just never were supposed to ask where the money was coming from.

#17

We weren’t allowed to say the word “fart” because my mom thought it sounded gross. She wanted us to say “poot” instead, and that’s just an objectively disgusting sounding word.

#18

I had a rule made by my parents that stated I shouldn't answer back when in a heated conversation. And at the same time if I stay quite I get detention and canes !

#19

Fungal feet washed every day, wordless commands to fetch him food/water/paper/phone, haul objects twice our weight, never eat more than he wanted us to in case we became less than bony and disgust him... TLDR: OBEY! and or-else was worse.

#20

Unlawful to ask or discuss 'The Birds and The Bee's. I was told and understood(?), "When I am old enough to know I won't have to ask"!

#21

No black clothing.

#22

No tv before 1800, if bored get a book or go outside to play

#23

No dating. At all. This rule was my dad's idea, but my mom will cover and fight for me.

#24

soda was only allowed during the weekends

#25

Not allowed to say shut up (it’s rude) and how come (terrible grammar).

#26

No video games during the week.. this might not sound weird, but my parents work 24/7 on the computer/laptop. Wtf dad!

#27

Wasn't allowed to watch cartoons, sit on my bed (beds are for sleeping, not sitting!) or sit on the couch. Had to sit on the floor. Couldn't use the front door, nor sit in the front seat of the car. I could only have one thin blanket on my bed, because I was fat. Cake, snacks, candy were never ever in my house. Banned from wearing my sun dresses because people could see the bruises. Found out in my forties, my grandfather was half black. Suddenly so many things made sense.

#28

No whistling in the house. It's a superstition where you lose all your money if you whistle in the house.

#29

Everything on the plate must be eaten.
I get, that you should taste everything but my dad insisted on a clean plat even if you don't like it (I guess it was a growing up just after the war...)
I once had to finish a plate of aspargus. I did eat it but I ran for the toilet afterwards and it came back the way it went in...
Still can't eat (or even smell) aspargus without getting an upset stomach.
This rule also resulted in me eating suuuuper slow because my dad would then get impatient and eventually leave the table so my mum would cover for me and eat what I didn't wanted.
Still a picky eater to this day.

#30

We weren’t allowed to have a computer. My mom, in all seriousness, thought they were the devil. She was literally the mom from Waterboy. She would say it would be inviting evil into the house. Now she has one and an android phone.

#31

you have to lean forward in the car when you're going uphill to make the car go fast enough

#32

Lets see... no shirts with holes on the shoulders, no 'short' shorts, no dating until 16, no closing your bedroom door unless you're getting dressed, you're not allowed to do anything that will interfere with church, no going over to anybody else's house unless our parent's have met, no lgbtq friends, ect. (not sure if these are weird)

#33

I was never allowed to question my parents, particularly my dad. If I wanted to go somewhere, and the answer was no, if I asked why, boy did I get into trouble. All it created in me, was sheer frustration and defeat. Had they told me why (perhaps they didn’t think it safe or something) I would have been annoyed, but understood. It was the most frustrating thing to grow up with and I think it’s made me super stubborn today!

#34

There were 4 of us and we had this thing where, if you had to pee during the night, you sang out-and I mean we literally sang this-"I need to GO to the BATHroom" and waited until we heard a parent say ok. I actually think we kids made up this rule. My parents were really easy-going and I can't imagine they would have. But we were always kind of scared of what might be in the toilet at night or that something would grab our legs from under the bed, so it was like we were making sure there was someone in charge who would hear us if the bathroom trip went south.

#35

We had two that were agonising. 1: Not being able to leave the dinner table until an adult said we were allowed to and 2: Not being allowed to open Christmas presents until after dinner. I mean who even DOES that to a kid!

#36

I could only sleepover a friends house 1 night during the weekend. Never on a weekday and never two weekends in a row.

#37

eat soap or die is wat my parents said when i used to say frick

#38

This was back in the 70's, but we (girls) were not allowed to call boys. They could call us, but we couldn't call them. And we couldn't answer the phone during dinner. Usually not a problem since we normally ate at the same time every night. But if we ate late, it rang off the hook.
I was a year younger than my schoolmates, & wasn't allowed to do a lot of the things they did regardless. When I got to a certain age, I could do certain things. Nothing to do with actions or maturity. I had a 9pm curfew at 16 starting my senior year - friend's were 11 or 12. I turned 17 in November and suddenly I can stay out till 1030. Still doesn't make sense

#39

I was allowed to call my friends for sleepovers, but I was never allowed to go to any sleepovers.

#40

If you like d**k then you can’t stick. I’m a guy.

#41

No sleepovers. Ever. Period.

#42

"Don't eat candy. It will make you dumb."

#43

We were not allowed to watch the 3 Stooges. I dont know why but I always thought because there was 6 of us my mom thought we would imitate them and someone would get hurt. But...I have an older brother who loved to watch movies like the Last Dragon and act out the actions moves on us he saw in the movie.

#44

My parents are divorced so this is only enforced half the time but my mom makes me ask before eating *anything* like even if I just want carrots and hummus she makes me ask and if I don’t she gets really unreasonably mad. It’s not like I’m sneaking junk food or snacking right before a meal or anything sometimes I just want a snack without having to consult with her for 10 minutes first

#45

I fell head over heels in love at 17 (F). Got married when I was 19 and my husband to be was 20. My mother’s advice, “You’re not going to like it but you’re going to have to do it.” My father’s advice, “If you don’t do it, he’ll find someone who does.” I’ve been married 47 years. Need I say more?

#46

No gaming consoles. No Gameboy, no Tamagotchi, no Play Station, nothing.
We got a computer and it was okay to play there but other then that I was not allowed to get anything. Even if I paid for it with my own money.
(That was back in elementary school.)
Later, when I was around 14/15 I got a Wii out of a newspaper subscription deal I helped my grandparents set up. That weirdly was not a big deal anymore.

Now that I think of it: electronic toys in general were a problem for my dad...

#47

We were allowed to use fingers to scoop brown sugar out of the jar and onto cereals. Only brown sugar, never anything else!

#48

I grew up in the T.M. Movement (transcendental meditation) and for two hours every morning and evening all adults were to meditate whether in the domes or at home. You DID NOT make any noise inside from 5-7 if your parents were home. Also, kids did whatever durning that time.

#49

No birthday parties with friends til you’re 10, only family. It sounds cruel, but it retrospect I kinda understand it. My parents explained that they thought around that age I’d start not wanting to hang around family for my birthdays, so they wanted the first 9 years to celebrate with grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles to sorta be with me as I grow up. I’ve been told my parents suck for doing that to me but I honestly didn’t mind too much.

#50

Wasn't allowed to watch Three's Company because Jack pretended to be gay.

#51

You always have to kiss a piece of bread before you throw it to the bin.

#52

We weren’t allowed to walk across the street by ourselves until we were almost old enough to drive. We lived on a busy 2 lane street not in a neighborhood but there was one across the street and behind us that we had friends in. We could walk to the one behind us, and walk in the one across the street as long as mom or dad walked us across then we would just call home when we were ready to be picked up. It didn’t bother us, we still joke about it.

#53

My brother and I were told repeatedly, "stop making Grandpa call the cops."
We were crazy kids.

#54

Ok, it's not a rule that was established or anything, but growing up I would huff and puff when I did chores. This upset my mom, and would bring it up when she was lecturing me about something completely unrelated. So, with that being said, I learned to not show any emotions while doing chores while she was present in the room, thinking she can't say crap about it because I'm technically not huffing while doing it.
Lord behold, another lecture later, she brought it up. Of how I, "have this face like the world is ending". Like...wth did you want me to do? be happy to do it??

#55

The youngest is always the servant of the oldest.

#56

My weirdest rule was "Don't eat yellow snow"

#57

You cannot go anywhere in town without telling me. B!tch, we lived in a tiny town with 1,000 people that's smaller than some zoos we've been to. I'm a teen, just f-ing trust me...

#58

My parents have restricted me from my legit lifesaver, caffeine. it has stopped me from suicide SO MANY TIMES. If I can't have caffeine, I can't have a life. So, parents. Fix the F up. If I'm struggling with something, help me or DIE.

#59

I have a rule to bring down games when going to bed it mays sound normal but they make me bring even vr down like I’m bout to get up and start talking like a r****d it’s weird but funny

from Bored Panda https://bit.ly/3HX1kNT
via Boredpanda

Hey Pandas, What Are The Weirdest Rules You Had Growing Up? Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Unknown
 

Top