Rich People Share 29 Things They Thought Were Normal While Growing Up But Actually Weren’t At All

Kids from well off families have a huge head start against their peers. As serial entrepreneur, investor, and consultant Bernie Klinder put it, they are born on 3rd base, and making a home run is fairly easy.

Brand new BMWs for their sweet 16, fully-paid college degrees, and houses for wedding presents. Even if they fail at life, the bank of and dad can bail them out, providing enough to get by.

On Friday, Reddit user u/TacticalTuna2 decided to find out more about the way wealthy parents raise their boys and girls, so they asked: "People who grew up rich, what's something you thought was normal?" And their call was answered.

#1

If I broke something, it was just a funny joke about how clumsy I am, and it got replaced immediately. I've had so many phones, computers, and cameras that I can't even count, so I only realized as an adult that people don't just throw away their broken or used stuff, but actually fix it.

Image credits: sayhummus

#2

I thought participating in multiple extracurricular activities was a normal thing. Now when I think about how much my parents spent on my swimming, piano, skating, ballet, soccer...wow

Image credits: thesecrwns

#3

Eating out every single day. My parents are super well off, but work a ton, and neither had time to cook. So at least one, if not both meals were delivered to the house every day, sometimes from really fancy restaurants. I always thought that home-cooked food and family dinners on TV were fake. I only realized it was abnormal when my friend came over. She said she liked the pasta at this local Italian restaurant, so I went on my phone and ordered her some on DoorDash (we were about 15 at the time), and she was in complete shock that I was allowed to do that.

Image credits: Glittering-Return171

#4

Having a pool. Everyone always wanted to come over to use it. Doesn't everyone else have a pool? Oh...

Image credits: PM_ME__PREDICTIONS

#5

We had a maid. I didn't realize everyone else didn't.

Image credits: Inquisitive-Diver99

#6

I always thought my family wasn't very well off because it seemed everyone else at my school had two houses (their primary residence plus a beach house or ski house) and we only had one.

Image credits: MattinglyDineen

#7

I thought everyone owned a washing machine and was able to vacation every year.

Image credits: joebidenthedictator

#8

By the time I was 23 I’d had 5 cars. When I got my second brand new car in about 18 months I learned that some people can never afford a brand new car in their life. I honestly had no idea. When a friend was saying she needed to get a credit card so she could buy a car I genuinely didn’t understand why. Credit scores weren’t a thing I was aware of. I’d been on my parents AmEx account since I was about 12 which gave me perfect credit right out of the gate. I realize that now, but even then I don’t think I really knew what a credit score was until I was in my 30’s.

When I was a teenager in the 90’s my mom would hand me $50’s & $100’s because I asked for money.

Having a passport & going to countries other than Canada or Mexico.

Having a Nordstrom card with my name on it when I was 11 because my mom hated school clothes shopping.

Nearly 40 and had never paid my own rent. Never bought my own car. Never paid my own insurance. Never even paid for my own gas.

I worked. Hard. Made good money. My parents paid for everything. I racked up tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt and my parents had to bail me out. Multiple times.

This is embarrassing…I have way to many of these. Even with all of that they did instill a good work ethic in me. So there’s that.

Image credits: Sad_Poet_3429

#9

We had steak for dinner four or five days a week — so much that my brother and I got so sick of it. I didn’t understand the draw of steakhouses and only having steak on a special occasion.

Image credits: AllDogsGoToReddit

#10

Vacations, big time. Getting a new car every three to six years. Being unable to understand why people wanted to raise taxes. Country clubs and $50,000-plus weddings. Being able to afford maids, accountants, and being in contact with a lawyer constantly. Blindly accepting capitalism with fervent spirit

Image credits: Upstairs_Cow

#11

1. Being able to go to college/school without thinking about cost.

2. Being able to choose " Whatever " major I wanted, without thinking about if that major would lead to a paying career that would help support my parents and myself after I graduated.

Image credits: Defiant_Nothing7684

#12

I didn't know that it wasn't normal to always take a stretch limo to the airport like my family did.

Image credits: dvnrscsy

#13

Clothes, never wore them more than twice. Gave them to charity and just bought more. Shoes too, I had more shoes than I could ever need.

Image credits: Good-Long-5064

#14

Vacations every year. Having more than one house. Buying whatever.

Image credits: MandoInThaBando

#15

Having 2 fridges! I thought that was a thing everyone had

Image credits: rw0016

#16

I thought a weekly allowance was something everyone got growing up. We were given $20 a week.

Image credits: xxxspinxxx

#17

Ski Trips.

Image credits: Stephh075

#18

I didn’t know there was anything smaller than those “big chairs” in a plane

Image credits: Testboi1131

#19

I thought almost all adults had graduate degrees

Image credits: ultimate_ampersand

#20

Getting a house when you're old enough, just because...

Image credits: Kennyvee98

#21

You don't have to pay your own student loan.

Image credits: madbarbarian4u

#22

Fully expecting a car for 16th birthday (and getting one).

Image credits: Warm_Time_1872

#23

I assumed that it was a middle-class thing to have multiple summer homes on different islands and huge homes in NYC, fancy vacations, and private schools, and and and. Us kids were alwayse reminded that having so many homes was very hard work, which I guess it was, and 'rich' people didn't have to work hard and therefore we looked down on 'rich' people for being kinda lazy and of questionable character.

Image credits: john-hdd

#24

I had a friend growing up that if there was something he wanted or felt that he needed to have he would call the store place the purchase and bill it to the family account or go online and buy it using his parents credit card he had and didn't need to ask permission or even tell them he did it and hey were okay with it. I thought he was kidding when he told me this or was lying until he proved it by buying us new $1500 matching dirt bikes.

Image credits: faj210210

#25

I thought all houses cost at least a million dollars. Where I come from, that's not a mansion — it's just the cost of a regular house. Or it was when I was a kid in the '90s; now everything's at least two million.

Image credits: ultimate_ampersand

#26

Having designs painted on your walls

Image credits: ommyLolaT

#27

having a very wide selection of food for all meals

Image credits: BigChonkyGrandma ·

#28

having multiple types of cheese in the fridge at all times.

I was shocked at how expensive cheese was when I moved out lol.

Image credits: thesecrwns

#29

Often having additions put on the house. My dad's ideology was that if he was going to stay in the house for the rest of his life, might as well make it bigger

Image credits: Skrrattaa



from Bored Panda https://bit.ly/3kCU67d
via Boredpanda

Rich People Share 29 Things They Thought Were Normal While Growing Up But Actually Weren’t At All Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Unknown
 

Top